Friday, September 15, 2017

Colorado Trail - Day 9

August 20, 2017
Camped at 176.7 (9.0) 9285'

I had a pretty easy hike this morning as it was mostly all downhill though there was some up. I felt a bit bad about not climbing Elbert but not that bad. It was nice to have an easy and short day today.

When I reached the highway into Twin Lakes, I started walking to town. Just a couple minutes later a man offered me a ride in. His name was, "Chief No Teeth" of all things. It was nice getting the ride. Thanks Chief No Teeth!

So the plan was to get into Twin Lakes for lunch, get a bed at the hostel, cleanup, resupply, and hang out all day.

All but getting a bed and cleaning up occurred. The hostel had some issues and shut down for the season, the lodge had no vacancies, and I didn't look beyond that.

I and several other hikers hung out in front of the general store all afternoon. There was Alex, Emily, Laura, David, and a couple others whose names I don't remember. A gal named Luna hung out with us for a bit too and shared some watermelon with us. Interestingly enough, she reminded me of Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter movies.

The resupply was very expensive, $70. I wasn't thrilled with that as stuff was 2 to 3 times more than normal. A new stove fuel canister was $10! I will say though, that the beer was priced right. A Gatorade and 16oz IPA cost just $5.

Emily, Laura, David, and I had dinner at the lodge. That was fun. At the table next to us was a couple hiking the CDT. The man kept commenting about things to us. It was all good, we had a great time. We probably should of had them join us as there was room at our table.

After dinner I hiked back to the trail and found a place to camp. After setting things up I noticed my water bottle with filter was missing. There was nothing else to do but to go back to town and find it. I lucked out as three people drove up and asked me a question about the trail just when I got to the highway and gave me a ride. I found what was missing then walked back to my camp.

Good Morning

Last Night's Camp

Mt. Elbert

The Twin Lakes



Twin Lakes

No comments:

Post a Comment