Saturday, September 16, 2017

Colorado Trail - Day 21

September 1, 2017
Camped at 397.7 (21.8) 12,105'

I pitched my tarp on a slant and got up and moved it to a more level place during the night. I'm glad I did because I was much more comfortable, also it rained and I didn't have to worry about sliding out from under it.

Sometime during the night, I got up to go pee. I put my shoe on but something was in the way. I thought my sock was bunched but that didn't help. So then I thought the insole was out of whack so I stuck my hand in the shoe and felt something furry; I think a pika was in there!

With the rain and the open campsite, the tarp was pretty wet when I packed up, so I put it in a plastic bag to keep everything else dry.

We were a bit slow getting started and were on trail at 8:10. Before we left, Mike and Kathy went by. It was them! Next, Chris went by. Thru hiking the CT is Chris' first backpacking trip ever.

There was a lot of up and down today, all above 12k, so it was a tough one. We passed Mike and Kathy and chatted with them for a bit. Later we caught Chris and talked with him too.

Eric stopped by a stream for lunch so I stopped and set my tarp out to dry. I had some Fritos and some other food too and gathered some water.

Late in the day a hail storm rolled through, then turned to rain. It cooled off a lot and my hands got cold, so I put my fleece hoody on so I could warm my hands in its pocket. I wear it every night but this was the first time I wore it hiking this trip.

The CT split off from the CDT today. Goodbye CDT, it was fun! If my calculations are correct, I hiked a 317.2 mile section of the CDT. Nice!

The day ended with a 600' switchbacked descent to an old mining camp where we camped. There were great views on the way down.

Today was especially beautiful. The eye candy was never ending. I had a lot of pictures to choose from, here're several.

Last Night's Camp



Mike and Kathy

Cataract Lake

Eric

Me Enjoying the View











No comments:

Post a Comment