Thursday, September 14, 2017

Colorado Trail - Day 7

August 18, 2017
Camped at 145.2 (25.2) 10,407'

Last night's dinner gave me the worst gas in the world. Oh man, it was awful. There was some spice in it that must have disagreed with me because I could smell that spice all night long. Oh man, it was nasty.

I didn't feel like getting up this morning but I was on trail at 7:20. Unfortunately I forgot a trekking pole so I really didn't get started until 7:35.

When I was getting the pole, I met a couple hiking the trail from Sequim, WA. I saw them a few other times as we climbed Searle Pass.

The day started with the climb over Searle Pass. Great views during the climb and from the pass. From there the trail stayed high for three miles to Elk Ridge, then dropped to Kokomo Pass and then really dropped down to Camp Hale.

Between Searle Pass and Elk Ridge, there was a large herd of sheep. Below Elk Ridge, there was a large tent and some horses. I wonder if that is the shepherds' camp?

On the descent from Kokomo Pass, I met and talked to three bike packers. I'd heard about them from others so it was nice to meet them. I also met one of them this morning shortly after I started hiking. They camped about a mile past where I did, near a creek and it was very damp. She was shaking out her tent, trying to get it dry. It was nice and dry where I camped.

I stopped at a creek and rinsed my shirt and bandanas off and washed up a bit too. That was refreshing for sure.

There was a group of people down by Camp Hale surveying for unexploded ordnance. I stayed on the trail. I must have zoned out because I didn't see the bunkers or whatever everybody posts pictures of while passing by Camp Hale. Oops.

I made it to camp at 7:30. There was another hiker camping here, David Fanning, author of, "Voices of the Colorado Trail." We talked a little bit but we were both tired and he went to bed while I was eating dinner.

Today was the best day on the trail so far as those big Colorado views are concerned. I'm sure they get better, but the views were pretty spectacular today.





Find the Pika (Near Center)

Marmot






No comments:

Post a Comment