Sunday, September 17, 2017

Colorado Trail - Day 25

September 5, 2017
Finished Trail 484.6 (13.5) 6983'

I was the first one out of camp this morning and was on trail at 6:50. While I was breaking camp, I said hi to one of the hikers that were in their tent last night.

The day started out with a two mile climb gaining about 600' so it was a pretty easy climb. After that, it was pretty much all down hill to the end.

I kept leap frogging with the couple that was in the tent. It turns out they have hiked both the AT and the PCT. Unfortunately, I don't remember their names.

The day was mostly in the trees but there were a few views along the way.

I got some water shortly after I started, but was thirsty from not drinking enough over night and was low. The trail came to a stock tank that was pretty green. Two men were there and they said the creek not far down the trail was running. We talked for a few minutes. It turns out that the wife of one of the men is on the CT Board of Directors.

When I got to the stream, I drank a bunch of water and also cleaned up some. I rinsed my shirt out and gave myself a quick wipe down. It felt nice to wipe the grime off my face.

There were several people along the trail that I talked to. There was a couple that used to live in Arizona that I talked to out walking with their dog. The man had a Show Low, AZ t-shirt on.

As I got nearer to the finish, the forest started looking a bit like Arizona with Ponderosa Pine and scrub Oak.

When I got to Gudy's Rest, I sat on the bench for a few minutes and enjoyed the view. It's just four miles from the end. I was getting really close.

I wanted to get done, to complete the CT, but I also didn't want it to end. I've had such a great time on the trail and was getting nostalgic as I neared the end. The start seemed so long ago and it seemed strange to think I wouldn't be camping again for awhile. Still, I wanted to finish!

I wasn't far behind the couple, so I slowed down so I could finish after they did, so I'd have the end to myself. I don't remember what I was thinking when I finished. I walked up to the trail sign and put my hand on it and stood there for a bit. I took some pictures and video, then walked out to the road and started hitching to Durango. It was actually rather anticlimactic.

I was walking down the road hitching for a few minutes when a truck pulled over. It was the couple I talked to on the trail that used to live in Arizona. I had to sit in the bed but that was okay. Also, they were giving Nathan I ride to town too. He must have finished shortly after I left the trailhead.

I was dropped off right in front of Carvers Brewing Co. I said thanks and they drove off when I realized I didn't even congratulate nor say goodbye to Nathan. I felt bad about that. Anyhow, Carvers gives a free pint of their Colorado Trail Nut Brown Ale to CT finishers. I had a few, it's tasty beer. I spent several hours at Carvers eating, drinking, and conversing with other trail hikers. I made a reservation at the Durango Super 8 and another hiker, Emily and her ride, Mark, gave me a ride to the motel. It worked out great. What a trip!








View from Gudy's Rest

Celebrate!

Finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment