Sunday, September 17, 2017

Colorado Trail - Day 23

September 3, 2017
Camped at 444.5 (25.8) 10,768'

I was comfortable last night, even with the rain and storming going on. It stopped well before morning so everything was dry when I got up.

A doe was hanging out in camp all night and this morning just waiting for me to pee. She must need more salt in her diet.

I was slow getting going and didn't get on trail until 7:45. I wanted to do at least 24 miles today and a late start doesn't help.

The trail was nice today with some great views and a lot of forest. The forest has seemed a lot healthier since Molas Pass. I hope it stays that way.

My progress seemed really slow this morning. I think I stopped a lot but maybe it was the late start. At any rate, things picked up this afternoon once I started Segment 26 at Bolam Pass.

When I first reached the pass, I got some water and ate. When I was about done, another CT hiker walked by and we said hi. Not long after I got going, I caught up to him when he stopped to take a picture. He is Al, or Night Owl.

From there, I was able to keep a good pace and made really good time. Maybe five miles in it started to rain and then turned into a hailstorm. The hail stones were good sized and quite loud hitting the umbrella. The worst part was the water on the trail. I did manage to keep my feet mostly dry. Once the storm passed, it was nice for the rest of the day.

On top of Blackhawk Pass, I heard a rockfall. There was a hiker down the trail that stopped and was looking up. I wondered if he was able to see it?

A couple miles later, I caught up to him at the last reliable water for 22 miles. His name is Nathan and he didn't see the rockfall but did hear it.

I drank a bunch and filled up my 3 liter capacity there. I also had some food. Nathan did the same as did three bike packers that came by.

Nathan and I left together and had a really great conversation. Nathan is 19 and lives in Denver. This is his first backpacking trip and he seems to be doing it right. He hiked with Berno for three days too.

When I found a place to camp, Nathan decided to go a bit farther. I hope I see him again tomorrow.

It's hard to believe I only have 40 miles left and will be done in two days.

Salt Depraved Doe

Last Night's Camp (Already Partly Broke)












No comments:

Post a Comment