Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Colorado Trail - Day 5

August 16, 2017
Finished at 104.1 (12.8) 9203'

Sometime during the night, I was laying on my back with my hands on my stomach. A squirrel jumped on me and landed on my hands. I threw them up and the squirrel flew up and hit my tarp. I don't know where it landed, but it didn't bother me again.

It rained during the night but stopped before I got up. Things were still damp when I packed up but at least it wasn't raining. I only had 13 miles to get to town today so I didn't rush getting up. I was on the trail about half past seven.

As I got going, I noticed signs for a bike race, the Breck Epic. Fortunately I never saw anyone racing.

The day started with a climb then when descending it got cold so I put my wind jacket on. Once the sun came out I stopped and hung my tarp and ground cloth out to dry.

The trail dropped through a big beetle kill area. A lot of the dead trees had been cut down and put in piles. It wasn't very scenic at all.

Once I was a few miles from Breckenridge, I got service on my phone so I putzed around on the internet. It's different being offline for several days and not hearing any news.

I've been seeing a gal bike packing the CT off and on since Sunday. She camped in the same area as I did last night. She passed me with a few miles to go. She had to deal with the bike racers so I must have been just ahead of them. Her name is Christy.

A bus showed up just after I reached the highway so I got a ride into Breckenridge right away which was great. In town I ate at the Breckenridge Brewery, then stayed at the Bivvi Hostel. It's a nice place and serves breakfast too. There were six of us in the room, three others were hikers, Ian and Taylor, and Weston.

Weston and I took the bus into town. We walked around and ended up eating dinner at the Breckenridge Brewery. I didn't mind eating there again, the food and beer are good.

Camp 4, Beware Flying Squirrels




Beetle Kill Clearing

No comments:

Post a Comment