Saturday, September 16, 2017

Colorado Trail - Day 22

September 2, 2017
Camped at 418.7 (21.0) 11,608'

It was windy last night so I put the bat wing up on the tarp to block the wind. That helped some.

I was on the trail about 7:20, maybe five minutes behind Eric. I had a quick hello with a father son pair that camped in the same area.

The day started with a big and steep descent to the Animas River. After a bit, I caught and passed Eric. There were a fair number of backpackers out for the holiday weekend, some with climbing gear.

Eric took the train to Silverton so we said goodbye at the junction to the train stop. I continued on to where the trail crosses the tracks and waited around hoping to see the train but left before it came.

I got water at Molas Creek for the climb up to Molas Pass. The climb was tough but it wasn't bad because I wasn't out of breath at the lower elevation.

Near the top, I went to the Molas Lake campground store. I got some more food as I figured I was a little short for the rest of the trail. I also got a Gatorade and a Klondike bar. I was also able to dump my trash. In all, the side trip took a bit over an hour, definitely worth it. What would you do for a Klondike bar?

From there, I made it to Molas Pass and continued into the next segment. I was a bit tired and hungry so I stopped near Little Molas Lake. Several Mt. bikers rode by while I rested.

Once back on the trail, I passed a couple of nobo CT hikers. Once I got higher, the storms rolled in and I got intermittent rain, but nothing bad. My umbrella is working out really well with these afternoon showers.

I passed a hillside full of sheep and talked to a shepherd for a bit. Well, I tried as he was from Espanola and spoke little english.

Near the end of the day, two hunters on horseback rode up as I was eating. We talked for a few minutes. I saw them later setting up to glass. They asked where I was camping for the night and I said I heard of a site a short distance from there. They agreed.

When I got to the site it started to rain but it was under trees and I didn't have to rush pitching my tarp. It stormed for awhile this evening but I was fairly protected and didn't have any issues at all.



Durango to Silverton Rail

Animas River

Looking Back Down at the Animas River

Molas Lake and Campground



Little Molas Lake



No comments:

Post a Comment