Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Colorado Trail - Day 6

August 17, 2017
Camped at 120.0 (15.9) 10,135'

The hostel provided breakfast. Today was eggs and hash browns. After breakfast, I took the bus to town and resupplied at the market. I made it to the bus back to the trail just in time. I was on trail at ten.

Segment 7 is tough. It has a 3300' climb over the Ten Mile range. To add to that, the Breck Epic was going on again and this time I think I saw all 600 cyclists. I missed a turn and followed the cyclists towards Breckenridge. I probably walked a mile before I realized my mistake and turned around.

There was a fire earlier this year (the Peak 2 fire) that closed Segment 7 for a while and threatened Breckenridge and the surrounding environs. The fire affected maybe a half mile of the CT.

Cresting the Ten Mile range was my first time over 12k on the CT. That was tough! It was super windy up top so I didn't stay long. The trail follows the ridge for awhile before descending towards the Copper Mountain ski resort.

On the descent I met another CT hiker named Robert. He asked if my hat was an OA hat since it has an arrow on it. It turns out that Robert was a Section Vice Chief for, if I remember right, section W3C. He's from Hawaii.

Down below, Weston and Katie were camped. I stopped and had a snack and Robert arrived too. I kept going for a few more miles and camped at the first opportunity after passing the Copper Mountain ski resort. It was a nice campsite but there was a highway nearby so it was a bit noisy.

Yesterday, at the hostel, Ian gave me a couple of dehydrated dinners he made because he won't need them. I tried the first one tonight. It was way more food than I could eat so I ended up burying the leftovers a ways from my camp. At least it tasted okay and I was able to eat it easily enough.


Peak 2 Fire Damage




Cresting the Ten Mile Range




Copper Mountain

Copper Mountain

Tonight's Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment