Thursday, September 14, 2017

Colorado Trail - Day 8

August 19, 2017
Camped 167.7 (22.5) 10,860'

My legs throbbed most all night but despite that I slept fairly well. I started to rise at six but I didn't get on trail until 7:20.

David Fanning was out of camp before I got up but I caught up to him resting shortly after the first big climb of the day. We hiked together off and on throughout the day. We had some good discussions; he's an interesting man.

I was making slow progress most of the day. I was just tired I suppose. The second big climb about did me in. There were ribbons all along it for the Leadville 100. I made it off the course before the race so I didn't have to deal with that.

I was hoping to do 25 today to set up for climbing Mt. Elbert tomorrow. It's the Colorado high point. I decided I'm just too tired for that so I'll do a short day into Twin Lakes and hopefully spend the night in the hostel there.

I had the second dinner Ian gave me tonight. Again it was way too much food and I'm thinking I'll have bad gas again since that spice was in this meal too. Ugh.


Entering Holy Cross Wilderness



David Fanning


David on the Trail




No comments:

Post a Comment