Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Wonderland Trail, Day 4

S. Puyallup River to Paradise River

July 25, 2016
15.8 miles

I camped at the South Puyallup River campground last night and my site was quite the hike to the toilet; many hundreds of yards. It was in a neat area though. The mountain walls were made of those hexagonal pillars all piled together.

I got on the trail at 7:40, my earliest this trip. My day started by climbing up from the river. Not long after starting, I caught up to two hikers. They got an early start from Klapatche Park and were finishing their Wonderland hike today at Longmire. This was their fifth day. Finally I met up with someone on a more aggressive schedule than mine.

South Puyallup River

At the top of the climb there was a marmot near the trail guarding its hole. I was able to get some pictures and when I got to close it gave a warning whistle and hid. There was another marmot too far off the trail to get a picture.

Tahoma Glacier Feeding S. Puyallup

Marmot

Tahoma Glacier

The trail descended down to Tahoma Creek where there was a large suspension bridge across. It bobbed around quite a lot walking across. Three planks were missing too. I was not comfortable on it and was relieved once across.

Suspension Bridge Over Tahoma Creek

Ready, Get Set, Cross

As usual, there was a climb on the other side. This one headed up to Indian Henry's Hunting Grounds. Near the top there was a large rounded granite surface where I  stopped for a break. Today was another gorgeous day and the view of Tahoma Glacier and the peak were amazing. Not long after I stopped the bugs found me so I grabbed my pack and got back on the trail.

View From Granite

Henry's haunt is made up of meadows and lakes and streams. I stopped to get water but had to make it fast due to all the bugs.

Lake and Patrol Cabin in Henry's Hunting Grounds

Meadow

I'd been leap fogging with those two hikers and when we reached Pyramid Creek (I think) we stopped and took a break together. They are Ryan from Chicago and Jimmy from Portland.

From there it was one last push to Longmire. When I reached Longmire I went directly to the Wilderness Center and got my resupply. Next I went to the restaurant at the National Park Inn. When I arrived, Ryan waved me over so the three of us had lunch together. The Wonderland IPA really hit the spot along with a bacon burger.

I still had to get to the Paradise River campground a bit less than four miles farther. I didn't know where to get back on the Wonderland Trail though, so I went back to the Wilderness Center to get directions.

After the burger and beer I was expecting a fairly easy stroll to Paradise River campground but I was wrong and trudged up the trail just wanting to be done. I finally made it well before five.

View Crossing the Nisqually River

Carter Falls

I was surprised with my early finish today. I took a really long time to set up camp and have been feeling tired. Hopefully a short day today with a good meal will have me ready for my longest day yet tomorrow.

There were several blow downs in the campground so the trail in is messed up. Also the only way in and out of the site I'm camped in is to go through another site. Fortunately nobody is camped there.

No comments:

Post a Comment