Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Wonderland Trail, Day 2

Mystic Camp to South Mowich River (via Spray Park)

July 23, 2016
17.7 miles

Near the end of yesterday's hike, my camera's battery died. That surprised me as I  charged it the night before. Well I think it went bad as I am unable to charge it. Now I'll have to make due with my phone's camera.

I got on the trail at quarter of eight. When I reached Mystic Lake, it was perfectly calm. There was some reflection from the mountains but not much due to clouds. A bird ran in front of me to get me away from its nest. It did the same thing last night when I got water.

The trail made a short climb out of Mystic Lake then descended towards Dick Creek and the Carbon River. The sky cleared for a short time and Rainier showed herself. My first clear view of the mountain this trip.



Dick Creek

There were excellent views of Carbon Glacier and of its throat, where the Carbon River emerged.

Carbon Glacier and its Throat

I crossed the suspension bridge over Carbon River. There was a scout troop that I talked with before starting the long and steep climb up to Spray Park. I was hoping the mountain would show itself but it was foggy the rest of the day.



Near the top of Spray Park, there were some snow fields to cross. Nothing too long.


Large Cairn Essentially at Top of Spray Park

Once I  started descending towards Mowich, it was a zoo. I probably passed well over 100 day hikers. I guess Saturday isn't the best day to cross Spray Park.

The descent towards Mowich was very damp. The trees were dripping and the trail was muddy. I was happy to finally turn back on to the Wonderland Trail. It was still damp but things were clearing and drying the farther along I went.

Bear Grass

I passed several backpackers along the last stretch to the South Mowich River campground I'm staying at tonight. Several are thru-hiking the Wonderland like I am. Most seem to be doing it in eight days, some a couple more. I haven't met anyone doing it in six like I am. I'll probably pass several of them on the other side of the mountain.

There're two men camped here besides me, Jeff and Mike. I went over and talked to them for awhile. Jeff hiked the PCT in 2008. It was an interesting and enjoyable conversation.

Like yesterday, I never took any long breaks today. The longest was maybe ten minutes maybe two thirds of the way up to Spray Park. It was just too damp to sit down anywhere. I really should have ate more too. I think I'll eat some more now before it gets dark and I crawl into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment