Monday, November 21, 2016

GCNP - Deer Creek & Thunder River

Deer Creek Falls

In late September, I noticed on Hike Arizona (HAZ), someone advertising a couple spots for a three day backpack trip to Deer Creek and Thunder River in Grand Canyon National Park for the end of October. I was familiar with the trail from a trip there in early November, 2014. I enjoyed that trip and I knew my daughter wanted to hike the canyon again, so we signed up.

When we signed up for the trip, neither of us had met anyone else going. A couple weeks before this trip, I went on a hike at South Mountain where I met Joe, the force behind HAZ, who was also going. I was glad to know at least one person ahead of time.

Two years ago I went on a hike to the same area so I was familiar with most of the trails we'd be going on. It includes a loop through Surprise Valley, Deer Creek, Tapeats Creek, and Thunder River. This trip, we'd be doing the loop in the opposite direction from when I had done it before. Maybe because of that, I didn't remember the trail being as difficult as it is, much to my chagrin as the route was well over my daughter's comfort level.

This was my tenth overnight trip dropping into the canyon, and I guess I've gotten used to some of the exposure that exists on many of its trails. I'm no fan of that, but I've developed the ability to tough it out and just do it. At least I have for anything I've come across so far. What it comes down to, is that I didn't take into account my daughter's experience level and how she might react and I didn't express what the trail would be like well enough to her. She did make it through safely, but there were some points on the trail that were very difficult for her to get through. I'm very proud of her for pushing through her fears and anxiety and I kick myself for putting her through it.

Friday October 28, 2016

Katie and I got up early and were on the road by about twenty past four. We met the three others in our group, Dave, Fan, and Joe briefly at Flagstaff at 6:15 in the morning. There was supposed to be a sixth member but he wasn't feeling well and cancelled. Katie and I arrived at the Monument Point trailhead a few minutes after the others.

We were on the trail about 11:10. After a short stop at Monument Point, we got on the Bill Hall Trail proper. It starts out really steep, then there is a short and steep section where we met a man on his way up looking for a hearing aid.

Bill Hall Monument




A ways after we got on the Esplanade, Katie and I stashed a liter each of water where I had stashed water and camped two years before. None of the others bothered to cache water. We made it to the edge of the Esplanade and worked our way down the Red Wall to Surprise Valley, then made our way down to Deer Creek.



Atop the Red Wall. (L-R) Katie, Dave, Fan, Joe


Fan and Joe dropping down to Deer Creek

Dave and Katie on the Rocky Deer Creek Trail

I stopped to get water where we crossed the creek and decided the flow through my filter was too good. Last I used it was in Yosemite last September and I think it froze and got ruined that trip. Oops.

There was a big group at Deer Creek CG and one of the guys crashed our campsite. Fan knew most of them, so she hung out at their campsite. We made do with the space left. It looked like it might rain so I set up my tarp and of course, my daughter saw a scorpion in the sand right where I was planning on setting up my bed. I scooped it up and moved it away from camp.

Saturday October 29, 2016

It sprinkled some last night. Not enough to where I needed my tarp, but enough to where I probably would have scrambled to set it up if it wasn't already pitched.

After breaking camp, we headed down to the Deer Creek Falls. We left our packs at the platform and checked out the slot canyon and the hand prints and snake drawing on the wall. So pretty! I really enjoyed the Falls and was happy to see them as I missed them two years ago.







The route across from Deer Creek to Tapeats Creek took some time. My daughter was having a very difficult time dealing with the steep descents and some of the exposure. I felt pretty awful for putting her in that situation. I really didn't feel like a very good dad at the time, but she made it through. I can't say enough good things about Dave and Joe and their help and patience with my daughter along with their encouragement to her. Fan too. Everyone was wonderful to us!

Looking Back at Deer Creek

(L-R) Katie, Joe, and Dave

Katie Working Her Way Along a Muddy Colorado

Sleeping Rattler Near Tapeats Creek

When we reached Tapeats Creek, we rested for a bit before heading to the Upper Tapeats campground. That starts out with a steep climb then contours along the canyon wall back to the creek. From there we crossed the creek and followed it to the camp. We got there early enough that we could relax and enjoy the rest of the day before calling it a night.

Resting near the Tapeats Creek, Colorado River Confluence

Contouring up Tapeats Creek (Look closely for Katie, Joe, Fan, and Dave)

Sunday October 30, 2016

We got up early the last day to get an early start and finish the hike early afternoon. We got a bit later start than planned but not bad. Katie and I stopped to get water where the trail first goes next to Thunder River. Her stomach was bothering her so she was having trouble eating anything and by the time we reached the Thunder River Falls, she was feeling nauseous. When we reached Surprise Valley she got sick but only lost the few crackers she ate earlier. We stopped again just before the climb up the Red Wall starts and I took all her water and her food bag. After a bit on the climb, we stopped where Dave, Fan, and Joe were resting. Katie was feeling better and was able to drink some Gatorade and eat a small amount. The rest of the hike out went pretty well. My daughter was feeling better and able to finish fine and doesn't hate me.

Sunrise

Thunder River Emerging From the Canyon Wall

The Esplanade

Katie and Joe Resting

A big thanks to Dave who was a very patient and conscientious trip leader.

My trip report on HAZ, complete with more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment