Friday, June 3, 2016

Little Pan Loop

This past Memorial Day, I had a great morning hiking the Little Pan Loop of the Black Canyon Trail. I parked at the Table Mesa Trailhead and hiked from there, going clockwise around the loop. Temperatures were very nice when I started at about 7:40 and were getting warm when I finished at about 11:40.


There was a nice stretch of water with a good pool at the southern crossing of the Agua Fria River. In fact, there were several large fish in the pool. That really surprised me as this is well past the north end of a full Lake Pleasant.

Farther along, I ran into a wild burro mare and its foal. Typically, they travelled along the trail with me following them for quite a while before they finally turned off the trail.

Near the north end of the loop, I made a side trip to the Hohokam fortress ruin and made the easy climb up to inside it. There's a road right to it so there really isn't much to look for anymore but it was still interesting to investigate for a few minutes.

From there, I went back to the trail near where I left it and continued my hike around the loop. The west side is definitely the more scenic side though there are some nice views on the east side as well, especially of Wild Burro Mesa off beyond the trailhead.

Here's a video of my day along the trail.


Bill Williams Mesa

Climbing Up From the Agua Fria River Bed




Two Wild Burros



Approaching the Fortress


On the Fortress, Looking NE

On the Fortress, Looking West

Barrel Cactus Blossoms


Wild Burro Mesa


Palm Trees



No comments:

Post a Comment