Sunday, September 25, 2016

TRT Day 8, Big Meadow

September 11, 2016
137.5 to 158.6 for 21.1 trail miles.

I woke up to the sunrise peaking through the trees. It made for a nice picture and I posted it on Instagram.

Sunrise

View From Bed

There was another campsite a bit up the trail from where I camped. I almost camped there last night and I'm glad I didn't since there was a couple camped there when I went by.

After finishing the climb I ended on yesterday, the trail was forested and nice. There were streams regularly too. When I reached Showers Lake, there was a youth group packed up and getting ready to hike out.




Showers Lake

I met two women on the trail. A mother and daughter. The mother was working on finishing up the PCT. She started a thru last year but life took her off the trail. This year she has been section hiking what she didn't do last year and now she's almost done.

Shortly after talking to the women, I reached where the TRT leaves the PCT. I really enjoyed hiking 50 miles of the PCT!


Goodbye PCT


When I reached Round Lake, I stopped to find a geocache. There was a mountain biker there that asked if I was doing the 165. When one has hiked all of the TRT, one is a member of the 165 club, so I replied yes. He lamented how one can only ride about 100 miles of the TRT instead of all of it.
I stopped for a geocache at Big Meadow, then stopped for water at Big Meadow Creek at the other side of the meadow. A little after that I stopped for lunch, then not long after that I stopped to empty my trash and used TP at the Big Meadow trailhead. Needless to say with all the stops I wasn't making good time.

Round Lake

Round Lake

Looking Back Across Big Meadow

After the Big Meadow trailhead, there was a big climb. I stopped for water and had to fill up for a nine mile dry stretch that included the rest of the big climb. I had only covered 15 miles and it wasn't looking good for me making my planned 22.

Along the way up, when I was setting up to take some video, I met a backpacker going the other way. He was hiking a section of the TRT to see what it is like for a possible future thru-hike. He recently moved from Detroit to Sacramento. He asked how much my pack weighed. I said I think maybe thirty with the full load of water I had. He said his was fifty. Ugh.




I actually made pretty good time up the hill and found two geocaches along the way. It was getting windy and colder and was sunset when I stopped for the night. I found a place a bit lower from the trail and out of the wind to spend the night.


Sunset with Lake Tahoe in the Background

No comments:

Post a Comment