Sunday, September 25, 2016

TRT Day 7, Aloha SOBO

September 10, 2016
117.3 to 137.5 for 20.2 trail miles.

I was on the trail a bit before half past seven and started the climb up Dicks Pass. Near the top, while taking some pictures, I noticed another hiker behind me. At the pass, we introduced ourselves. The hiker's trail name is Solar Body and he is sobo hiking the PCT. He hiked the AT last year and intends to hike the CDT next year.

We ended up hiking together to the Echo Lake trailhead where he hitched into South Lake Tahoe for resupply. I was getting water when he got a ride so we didn't really get to say goodbye.

Solar Body and Me

The trail was so much eye candy today as we really saw the beauty the Sierra has to offer. I think I only covered eight miles the first five hours on trail. We kept stopping to gawk and take pictures and video. I even went for a quick dip in Susie Lake.

Dicks Lake

Looking Back on Dicks Lake and Fontanillis Lake

Me and Beyond Dicks Pass

Half Moon Lake and Susie Lake






Lake Aloha




Echo Lake



Solar Body Nearing Echo Lake Marina

After Aloha Lake, there was a long rocky and hot descent to Echo Lake. There were tons of people going up. Then we traversed the lake to where the marina is. I ran out of water just before we arrived but would have drank more if I had it.

The store at the Echo Lake marina closed last week so I wasn't able to get anything to eat like icecream. There were trash containers and an outhouse though so I was able to dump my trash and uded TP before continuing on.

I met a man section hiking the PCT. I think he was heading to Donner Pass on this outing. I also stopped at Echo Summit to look for a geocache but wasn't able to find it. Echo Summit was used as a high altitude training center for the 1968 Olympics. Shortly after that, I met a couple finishing up their PCT thru-hike. They skipped ahead and are hiking where they skipped. I believe they'll finish at Donner Pass.

Log Water Crossing

I wasn't sure if there would be water at a stream near where I planned to camp so I stopped earlier to get water for the night and the next morning. That made my pack a bit heavy on the climb up to my campsite. Along the way there was a couple practicing bouldering. They even had a couple of those pads in case you fall.

Today was long, mostly because Solar Body and I were moving slow this morning with all the lovely scenery. It was getting dark when I arrived at camp. Once at camp, I had cell service so besides dinner and the normal camp chores, I putzed around online for a bit and called Barbara.

Only 35 miles left.

No comments:

Post a Comment